White Chicken Chili
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 20 Minutes
Passive Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time 20 Minutes||Servings People|
This is a great light yet hearty dinner, when you want to curl up with a warm bowl of hearty chili. Instead of beef, this chili uses chicken and even some kale at the end to round out this healthier version of the classic. Depending on what’s in season, add you favorite veggies. I like to serve this with some crusty bread.
- 1 lb Chicken boneless breasts
- 2 TBS Oil
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Green Pepper diced
- 5-6 in Tomatillas peeled and chopped,quartered
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Oregano
- ¼ tsp Cayenne
- 2 15 ounce Cans White beans drained and rinsed
- 2 Cups Chicken broth
- 1/4 bunch cilantro** chopped
- 2 4 ounce Cans chopped green chilis spicy or mild based on preference
- 1/2 Cup Dairy (cream milk or soy milk)
- 1 Bunch Kale* washed and cut into bite sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place chicken on a greased and foil lined sheet tray. Season with salt and pepper and rub a little olive oil on top.
- Bake for 15- 20 minutes, until just cooked through.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat 2 TBS oil in a large Dutch oven and add the onions, garlic and green peppers.
- Cook until softened and beginning to brown.
- Add the tomatillas, if using and the spices.
- Cook for two more minutes. Then add the beans, broth, cilantro and chilis. Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes, until the ingredients come together.
- While the chili is cooking, shred the cooked chicken.
- After 15 minutes add the chicken and add the dairy substitute and bring back to a simmer.
- Cook for 5 more minutes and then add the kale. Stir to combine and cover and cook for a few minutes until the Kale is wilted. Serve in bowls alongside some crusty bread and a lime wedge for garnish.