If you are looking for a delicious meatless fall meal, try this vegetarian chili. It is packed with veggies and warm spices and the bulgur gives it a great meat-like mouth feel. The best part, of course, is the great toppings that everyone gets to choose for their bowl: sour cream, jalapenos, avocados and cilantro. And don’t forget to serve with your favorite cornbread on the side! (Adapted from Moosewood Cookbook)
- 2 TBS Olive oil
- 2 Cups Onions diced
- 8 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Carrot diced
- 1 Stalk Celery diced
- 1 Red Pepper diced
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Basil, dry
- 2 TBS Chili Powder plus more to taste
- black pepper/cayenne to taste
- 1 14 ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 5 TBS Tomato paste
- 1 Cup Tomato juice or additional can diced tomatoes
- 1 Cup Bulgur, raw
- 2 14 ounce Cans kidney beans
- Cornbread your favorite variety
- Avocado chunks
- Sour cream
- Jalapenos or pickled jalapenos
- Avocado chunks
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch Oven over medium high heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery and red pepper. Sautee until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the various spices (cumin, basil, chili powder, salt and pepper) and stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the tomato paste and cook with the vegetables until the paste becomes a darker brownish color.
- Then add the diced tomatoes, tomato juice and bulgur and stir to combine.
- Cook until the bulgur as expanded and is cooked through (30-45 minutes). You may need to add additional water to maintain the right consistency.
- Once the bulgur is cooked through and the mixture resembles chili, add the beans and cook for an additional 15 minutes.