Vegetarian Pad Thai
Prep Time Minutes 10
Cook Time 15 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 10||Cook Time 15 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
Who can resist Pad Thai? This recipe is a home-made vegetarian version of the much loved Thai dish. It has all of the sweet, sour, salty and spicy flavors that you crave – and you don’t have to leave the house to enjoy it!
- 12 ounces Dried flat rice noodles 1/4 inch wide; sometimes called pad Thai or banh pho
- 3 TBS Tamarind paste*
- 1/2 Cup Soy sauce
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar packed
- 2 TBS Sriracha Southeast Asian chile sauce
- 1 Bunch Scallions
- 14 to 16 ounces Firm tofu
- Oil peanut or vegetable
- 4 Shallots
- 6 Eggs
- 4 Cloves Garlic finely chopped
- 2 Cups Bean sprouts 1/4 pound
- 1/2 cup Peanuts, roasted coarsely chopped
- Toppings: lime wedges; cilantro sprigs; Sriracha
- Soak noodles in a large bowl of warm water until softened, 25 to 30 minutes. Drain well in a colander and cover with a dampened paper towel.
- Mix together in a bowl, tamarind paste, soy sauce, brown sugar, and Sriracha, stirring until sugar has dissolved.
- Prepare the rest of your ingredients, so that you can quickly add them to the hot pan.
- Cut scallions into 2-inch pieces. Halve pale green and white parts lengthwise.
- Cut shallots crosswise into very thin slices with slicer.
- Cut tofu into 1-inch cubes and pat very dry.
- Heat oil in wok over medium heat until hot, then add shallots and sautee until golden-brown. Remove to a bowl.
- Add oil if needed and add tofu in 1 layer, gently turning occasionally, until golden, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer tofu to paper towels using a slotted spoon. Add to the bowl with the shallots.
- Lightly beat eggs with 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Heat 1 TBS oil in wok over high heat until it shimmers.
- Add eggs and swirl to coat side of wok, then cook, stirring gently with a spatula, until cooked through. Break into chunks with spatula and transfer to the bowl with the tofu and shallots.
- Add more oil and stir-fry scallions, garlic, about 1 minute.
- Add noodles and stir-fry over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Add ingredients in bowl (tofu, shallots and eggs) and bean sprouts, and 1 1/2 cups sauce and simmer, turning noodles over to absorb sauce evenly, until noodles are tender, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in additional sauce if desired and transfer to a large shallow serving dish.
- Sprinkle pad Thai with peanuts and serve with lime wedges, cilantro sprigs, and Sriracha.