Vegetarian Deli Reuben Sandwich
If you love overstuffed, warm Deli Reuben sandwiches, you have to try this vegetarian version. It has all of the flavors of the sauerkraut, with the sweet relish dressing and swiss cheese, but with a meat substitute of marinated and crisped tempeh or tofu. Make sure to load on the Kraut and dressing and eat alongside my sweet potato fries for a delicious deli dinner at home!
- 16 Ounces Tempeh or Tofu
- 1 Cup Broth
- 2 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 TBS Worcestershire sauce
- 4 TBS Ketchup divided in two
- 1 tsp Smoked paprika
- 1 tsp Garlic powder
- 2 Cups Sauerkraut drained
- 1 Cup Mayo
- 1 TBS Relish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 slices Swiss cheese optional
- Sliced Rye bread 8 slices
- Slice the tempeh or tofu thinly, about ¼ inch, so that it is a size that will fit on bread.
- Place the tempeh/tofu in a glass dish to marinate with the broth, balsamic, Worcestershire sauce, 2 TBS Ketchup, garlic powder and smoked paprika. Marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Mix together in a small bowl, the mayo, ketchup and relish, and salt and pepper to taste.
- When ready to cook, heat a non-stick skillet or cast iron pan with oil and place the tempeh/tofu without the sauce in it and sautee until browned on each side.
- Then add the marinade and cook until thickened and coating each side.
- Flip once to coat each side. Remove from heat and clean out the pan.
- To prepare the sandwiches, place the bread slices face up on a plate and coat with a heaping amount of mayo dressing, a slice of cheese on one side of the bread, a large spoonful of the sauerkaraut on top and top with tempeh/tofu and another slice of cheese. Repeat to make the other sandwiches.
- Place each (as many as can fit at a time) in the cast iron pan or griddle with melted butter. Weigh down the sandwich with a plate and can on top, as you would grilled cheese, and cook until the bread is browned, the cheese melted and the sauerkraut warmed through.
- Serve with additional dressing and a pickle on the side!