- 4 TBS Olive Oil
- 1 Onion large, roughly chopped
- 2 Bell Peppers any color, roughly chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic roughly chopped
- 1 TBS Cumin
- 1 TBS Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 2 28 ounce Cans fire roasted tomatoes* diced or whole
- 4 Cups broth or water
- 8 Corn tortillas (the small yellow kind)
- 1 28 ouce Can Black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 Cup Corn fresh, frozen or canned
- 1 Cup Green beans chopped into bite sized pieces, fresh or frozen
- 1 Avocado cut into bite sized chunks
- 1/4 Cup cilantro** Chopped, fresh
- 1 Cup Sour cream
- 2 Limes Cut into wedges
- 1 Jalapeno pepper sliced thin or pickled
- Tortilla Strips*
- Heat a large pot/Dutch Oven with oil over medium-high heat.
- Sautee Onions, Peppers and Garlic until soft and beginning to brown (5 minutes). Then season with spices (cumin, oregano and chili powder) and salt and pepper.
- When spices have become fragrant and coated the vegetables, add fire roasted tomatoes, 4 cups broth or water, and 3 of the small corn tortillas, broken into pieces. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- With an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth.
- Add beans, corn and green beans and bring back to a simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve up in large bowls with the toppings of your choice!
*Muir Glen makes a great organic version of this. You can use non-fire roasted, but the soup will not have as smoky flavor. If you use regular tomatoes, you can add a dash of charcoal seasoning…
** To make your own tortilla strips, use remaining corn tortillas. Slice into strips with a pizza slicer and place on a baking sheet. Spray or brush with oil, sprinkle with salt and broil on low until crisp.