Stewed Purple Cabbage
Prep Time Minutes 15
Cook Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 15||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
The secret to this dish is lots of onion and very thinly sliced purple Cabbage. My Grandmother, who always made this without a food processor, cut the cabbage into superfine thin shreds and it was also so tender. To give it some extra flavor, she would add a few tablespoons of her chucksteak gravy towards the end.
- 3 TBS Oil
- 1 Large Onion sliced into thin half moons
- 1 Head Purple Cabbage cored and sliced Super thin into shreds*
- 3 TBS Gravy from chuck steaks or 1 TBS dry beef broth powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 TBS Sugar
- Place a large, heavy bottom sautee pan or pot with the oil on the stove on medium high heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the onions and sautee until the onions are golden brown.
- Then add the cabbage to the pot and stir into the onions. If there is not enough room for all of the cabbage, wait until the cabbage shrinks down (it will) and add the rest. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the beef broth or the broth powder at this point and cook covered for at least 20 minutes until the cabbage is cooked and tender. (the thinner the cabbage, the quicker it will become tender)
- Once the cabbage is soft, add any additional salt and pepper, and the sugar.
- Cook uncovered until all the liquid has evaporated and the cabbage is just beginning to brown.
- Remove from the heat and serve!
*You can do this using a shredding blade on your food processor or slice by hand.