Spaghetti with Pecorino and Black Pepper (Cacio e Pepe)
Prep Time Minutes 5
Cook Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 5||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
This pasta is all about simplicity. Front and center in this recipe are the nutty flavor of the pecorino romano, the bite of the black pepper along with the great chew of the spaghetti. Since there are only a few ingredients, use your favorite pasta and the most flavorful cheese you can get. (Adapted from Cooks Illustrated)
- Pecorino romano cheese 2 cups finely grated and 1cup coarsely grated
- 1 lb Spaghetti
- 2 TBS Heavy cream
- 2 tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 tsp Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- Place 2 Cups finely grated Pecorino Romano in medium bowl.
- Bring 2 quarts water to boil in large Dutch oven. (Do not add more, since you will want the pasta water later and the starchier the better)
- Add pasta and salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until al dente. Drain pasta and reserve cooking water. Place pasta in a bowl and set aside.
- Pour 1 1/2 cups cooking water into liquid measuring cup.
- Slowly whisk 1 cup of reserved pasta water into the finely grated Pecorino until smooth.
- Whisk in cream, olive oil, and black pepper.
- Gradually pour mixture over pasta, tossing to coat.
- Let pasta rest 1 to 2 minutes, tossing frequently, adjusting consistency with remaining pasta water.
- Serve, passing coarsely grated Pecorino separately.