Slow Cooker Chicken Noodle Soup
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 4 Hours
Passive Time 4 Hours
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 4 Hours||Passive Time 4 Hours||Servings People|
The Slow cooker is our best friend during ski season, and ski season has officially begun in our family. There is nothing like coming home from a long ski day, to a warm and hearty chicken noodle soup, packed with vegetables and tender chicken. This soup will be a sure hit among skiers and non-skiers alike! (Adapted from Cooks Country)
- 6 Bone in Chicken Leg Quarters Thighs with Drumsticks attached – dark meat stays moist when cooked for a long time
- salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil
- 6 Carrots peeled and sliced into ½ inch thick rounds
- 4 Stalks Celery sliced
- 2 Onions chopped
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tsp Thyme dry
- ½ tsp Red pepper flakes
- 12 Cups Chicken broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 3 Cups Egg Noodles Cooked
- 1 Cup Frozen peas
- 2 TBS Parsley minced
- Dry chicken pieces with a paper towel and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large sautee pan over medium heat. Add chicken pieces, skin side down, and cook until the skin is a deep brown color, about 8 minutes. Remove cooked chicken and transfer to slow cooker.
- Cook Carrots, celery and onion in the sautee pan in the remaining fat until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and pepper flakes and cook for one minute until fragrant.
- Add some broth, to just scrape up the browned bits, and pour the vegetables, spices, bay leaf and broth into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- Remove the chicken pieces and when cool enough shred the meat and return to the slow cooker. Add the frozen peas and parsley and cook until warmed through. Discard bay leaves.
- To serve, place some noodles in the bottom of each bowl and top with the soup.