Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice
I don’t think I need to sing the praises of throwing food in a slow cooker and coming home from work to delicious smelling house and dinner ready. The saffron in this dish really turns this slow cooker chicken and rice into something special. Make sure to use brown rice, so that it doesn’t get overcooked and bone-in chicken thighs, which won’t get dry even after being cooked for many hours.
- Olive oil
- 8 Chicken thighs bone in skin on
- 2 Onions diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic minced
- 2 TBS Tomato paste
- 1 Cup White wine
- 2 Cups Chicken stock
- 2-3 Cups Water
- 1/2 tsp Saffron
- 1 tsp Chili Flakes
- 2 Cups Short Grain brown rice
- 28 ounces Diced tomatoes
- Parsely for garnish
- In a large sautee pan, heat up olive oil and brown the chicken thighs, skin side down, until they are dark brown, 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a plate and add the diced onions to the sautee pan and cook in the chicken fat until they are browned.
- Add the garlic and sautee for a minute.
- Add the tomato paste and stir until it begins to get brick red.
- Add the white wine to the pan and deglaze.
- Then add the chicken stock, water, saffron and chili flakes and stir together.
- Transfer everything in the pot to the slow cooker insert. Add the rice and tomatoes to the slow cooker and stir.
- Place the chicken pieces (and their accumulated juices on the plate) on top of the rice.
- Cook on low for 6 hours. (You may need to adjust the liquid to make sure that the rice gets cooked through and does not dry out).
- Garnish with parsley, if you like!