Ribollita with Greens and Cannelini Beans
This is a mix between a soup and a stew. My favorite part about this Ribollita is the crusty garlic bread that sits on the bottom of the bowl and absorbs all of the amazing flavors of the sage, beans, vegetables and broth. This is a filling and healthy vegan meal that you can pull together in no time. (Adapted from Shira Bocar, Healthy Appetite)
- 1/4 Cup Extra virgin olive oil plus more for serving
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 Loaf Ciabatta Bread Sliced 1 inch thick
- 5 Sprigs Sage plus 1 TBS chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic peeled and 2 thinly sliced
- Red pepper flakes
- 3 Carrots peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 1/2 Cup White wine, dry
- 2 15 ounce Cans cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 4 Cups Vegetable broth
- 4 Cups Baby greens such as kale, spinach, and chard
- Grated Parmesan for serving
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a large straight-sided skillet over medium-high.
- Add salt and pepper to the olive oil and add bread; cook, flipping once and adding sage sprigs halfway through, until toasted, 10 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate; lightly rub one side with whole garlic clove. Season with salt.
- Discard oil.
- Return skillet to medium-high heat.
- Add an additional tablespoon oil, sliced garlic, carrots, and chopped sage. Season with salt and pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring, until garlic is golden.
- Add wine. Cook until evaporated, 2 minutes.
- Stir in beans and broth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until carrots are tender and liquid has reduced slightly, 25 minutes.
- Transfer 1 cup beans to a bowl, mash and return to pot. This will help thicken the stew. If you like a more soup-y presentation, you can add more broth at this point.
- Stir in greens just until wilted; season with salt.
- Serve over toast, with cheese and a drizzle of oil.