Quinoa Bowl with Black Beans and Plantains
Prep Time Minutes 30
Cook Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 30||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
This bowl is a bit of an adventure, inspired by a vegetarian cookbook gifted to me (thank you Elke!). It starts with a base of quinoa, and is topped with flavorful and spicy black beans, earthy sautéed mushrooms and leeks, creamy avocado and lime and fried plantains! Be sure to buy ripe sweet plantains that are yellow and brown, not the green ones that are very starchy. Make sure to serve with lots of lime wedges, and some salt to sprinkle on top. The lime brings it all together!
- 2 Cups Quinoa cooked according to package instructions, red or white
- 1 Jalapeno pepper diced with seeds and membranes removed (unless you like it extra spicy)
- 2 14 ounce Cans black beans drained
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Leeks cleaned and sliced into half moons
- 16 ounces Mushrooms any variety you like or a mix
- 2 Avocados flesh cubed
- 3 Limes
- 2 Plantains Use ones that are already yellow and brown in spots
- To prepare the beans: Place the diced jalapeno in a sautee pan with oil and heat over medium heat. Sautee for 1-2 minutes, then add drained black beans and cinnamon and cook for 2 minutes. Add ½ cup water and smash slightly with a potato masher. Transfer to a bowl.
- Wipe out the sautee pan and add another TBS oil and add leeks. Season with salt and pepper. Once the leeks begin to soften and start to brown, add the mushrooms. Season again. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and transfer to a bowl.
- To make the plantains. Peel the plantains and cut into diagonal slices about ¼ inch thick. Heat up the sautee pan and fill with about ½ inch oil over medium high heat. Place plantains in the suatee pan and fry until well browned on each side. Remove and place on a paper towel lined sheet tray. Salt hot plantains.
- Place the cubed avocado in a bowl and squeeze one lime into the bowl. Stir to coat the avocado and add salt and pepper.
- To assemble: Place the quinoa on the bottom of each bowl. Organize the various toppings in sections on top – beans, leeks and mushrooms, avocados and plantains. Serve with lime wedges and squeeze a healthy amount of lime on top, especially on the plantains.