Pasta with Butternut Squash and Sage
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 40 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 40 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
Butternut squash and Sage are a classic fall combination. This pasta dinner with carmelized butternut squash, leeks and crispy sage, topped with parmesan cheese has that great combination of salty and sweet.
- 10 Sage leaves 5 left whole, 5 minced
- 3 TBS Olive oil
- 3 lbs Butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into ½ inch dice (about 5-6 cups)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 Leeks cleaned well and sliced into thin half moons
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 2 Cups Broth
- 6-8 Scallions sliced thin
- 1 lb Pasta I like to use penne or farfalle
- Parmesan cheese to taste (about ½ -1 cup)
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil. Place the diced butternut squash, whole sage leaves, olive oil, salt and pepper to taste on the baking sheet and mix until combined. Bake in the oven until the squash is soft and browning, but still holding their shape. You may need to turn the squash over half way through for even browning.
- Meanwhile in a large pot of water, cook the pasta until al dente while the butternut squash is cooking.
- In a sautee pan over medium heat, with olive oil coating the bottom, sautee the onions and leeks until they are soft. Add sugar, nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste and cook for one minute, until you can smell the nutmeg.
- Add broth and stir to scrape up any browned bits.
- Add butternut squash, cooked pasta, scallions and stir to until combine and warmed through.
- Remove from heat and add minced sage and parmesan cheese.