Mexican Chicken and Pepper Stew with Polenta
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
This recipes has your favorite bold Mexican flavors, chipotle and poblano peppers, with creamy Italian polenta. Talk about fusion! This dish was inspired by a recipe in Cooking Light magazine and my version bumps up the veggies to create a full meal.
- 1 Jalapeno pepper seeded, diced (optional, if you don't like any spice)
- 1 Green Pepper diced
- 2 Red Peppers diced
- 2 TBS Olive oil
- 2 Onions thinly sliced
- 8 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 TBS Oregano fresh chopped
- 3 Cups Tomato chopped
- 3 TBS Adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo
- 1-2 Cups Broth
- 2 TBS lime juice
- 3-4 Chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 1 Cup Polenta dry, uncooked
- 3 Cups milk or broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Place chicken breasts on a greased and foil lined sheet pan. Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 15 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked through. Let cool. When cool enough to handle, shred the chicken breasts.
- While the chicken is cooking, heat oil in a large sautee pan over medium high heat. Add the diced jalapenos (if you like spice), onions, green and red peppers and sautee until soft and beginning to brown.
- Add the garlic and oregano and sautee for another minute.
- Add tomato, adobo sauce and broth and cook until the mixture forms a sauce that is beginning to thicken. Then add the lime juice and the chicken and cook for 3-5 minutes.
- To make the polenta, bring milk or broth to a boil in a saucepan over medium high heat. Reduce to medium low and add a pinch of salt. Pour the polenta into the liquid while whisking.
- Cook on a low flame until the polenta is cooked through and thickened to a porridge-like consistency. You should continue to whisk every few minutes, making sure that it is not sticking to the bottom. You may need to add more liquid to adjust consistency.
- To serve, place some polenta in individual serving bowls and top with the chicken stew mixture.