Mediterranean Grilled Lamb in Pita
Prep Time Minutes 10
Cook Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 10||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
If you are a lamb person, you must try this. The ground lamb is seasoned with bold flavors like lemon zest, coriander and cumin and then placed in between two pita halves and grilled. This may be the best grilled lamb you have had in quite some time. Serve alongside Bamiya Style green beans (Adapted from Cooks Illustrated)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Cup cilantro** or Parsley
- 1/4 Cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 TBS Lemon zest
- 3 TBS Lemon juice
- 1 TBS Coriander
- 1 TBS Cumin
- 1 TBS Paprika
- ½ tsp Cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Lbs Ground lamb
- 4-6 8 inch Pitas
- Place onion and cilantro/parsley into the food processor and pulse until finely chopped.
- Transfer to a large bowl and add ¼ cup olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, and remaining spices to the bowl and mix to combine.
- Add the ground lamb and mix gently until it is fully combined with the mixture.
- Use kitchen shears to cut around the perimeter of the pitas, to open them up fully into two halves. There will be a thicker side and a thinner side. Place the thicker halves on a flat surface and divide the lamb mixture evenly between the pitas.
- Using a spatula, spread the mixture on the open pita, leaving about a ½ inch border around the edge. Top with the thinner pita half and press gently into the meat.
- Preheat a gas or charcoal grill to high. Once hot, lower to medium heat and place the filled pitas on the grill. Cook for 7 -10 minutes, until they are nicely browned, but not burnt.
- Carefully flip and grill the other side, for another 7-10 minutes, until the second side is browned as well.
- Remove from heat to a cutting board and cut in halves or quarters.
- Serve with your favorite tzatziki if you like!