Mac 'N Cheese
Prep Time Minutes 10
Cook Time 30 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 10||Cook Time 30 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
Mac n cheese is THE comfort food, for both kids and adults. This mac n cheese has all of the creaminess of your standard recipe, but instead of cream, you can use skim milk or any reduced fat milk you have. To add some color, throw in some frozen peas at the end. And you can also flake in some tuna, if you want to turn this into tuna mac n cheese.
- 1 pound Elbow macaroni (I like using whole wheat pasta as it holds its texture well)
- 3 TBS Butter
- 4 TBS Four
- 2 tsp Dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne
- 4 Cups Milk skim or any variety you like
- 1 Cup Monterey jack cheese grated
- 1 Cup Cheddar cheese grated
- 2 Cups Breadcrumbs
- 3 TBS Olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, melt butter in a large Dutch oven or heavy pot.
- Add flour, mustard, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste. Stir with a whisk until the flour has become incorporated into the butter and the mixture looks like a thick paste.
- Gradually whisk in milk and bring the mixture to a boil, while you are whisking. Continue to cook over medium, whisking occasionally, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and stir the cheeses into the hot milk mixture until they form a creamy sauce.
- Pour the cooked noodles into the sauce and stir together until the mixture is combined.
- Pour the noodles and cheese into a greased 9 by 13 Pyrex.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs the 3 Tbs olive oil and the salt and pepper. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture on top of the noodles.
- Place in the oven and cook until the mixture is bubbling and the crumbs are beginning to toast.