Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
This is a simple Hungarian weeknight pasta meal. Instead of the traditional tomato based pastas that so many of us are used to, this pasta gets its flavor from the sweet carmelized onions and salty sautéed cabbage that get mixed in with the noodles. When I make this, I like to have almost equal ratio of cabbage/onions to noodles. The cabbage and onions are the best part!
- 1 Lb Egg Noodles cooked according to package directions – some pasta water reserved for later use
- 2 TBS Oil
- 1-2 Onions thinly sliced
- 1 Head Cabbage thinly sliced, by hand or using food processor
- 1 TBS Sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Sautee onions until they are softened and beginning to carmelize.
- Then add cabbage, and stir. Cook until the cabbage has softened.
- Add sugar, salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the cooked noodles into the mixture.
- Taste and see if it needs more salt and pepper. If it looks too dry, add some the reserved pasta water.