Home-style Meatloaf (with hidden veggies)
When I was growing up, I never liked meatloaf. Then I married a guy who loves meatloaf – and as luck would have it, my mother in law pointed me to a recipe that became the starting point for my reimagined meatloaf. Now, I’m now a meatloaf lover too. This one has loads of veggies, all ground up to look like meat. They mix into the meat seamlessly and add amazing flavor – and of course veggie goodness. Topped with a sweet glaze, even your kids will love this one… To round it out, you can go traditional and serve it with mashed potatoes and a green salad – or you can try my salt and vinegar smashed potatoes. Note: This recipe makes two meatloaves – if you don’t finish them both, you can make mealoaf sandwiches for lunch or put one in the freezer! To freeze, just wrap the meatloaf tightly in parchment and then foil, once it has cooled completely.
- 3 TBS Olive oil
- 2 Stalks Celery
- 1 Onion large
- 2 Carrots large
- 4 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Box Mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup Parsley
- 1 10 ounce Frozen spinach thawed and squeezed to remove moisture
- 2 Pounds Ground meat
- 1 Cup Bread crumbs
- 2 Eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Cup Ketchup
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 2 tsp Cider vinegar
- 1 tsp Hot sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat with the olive oil.
- While this is heating up, grind the various vegetables in the food processor. Begin by placing the onions and celery in the food processor and pulse until they are “ground meat sized” pieces. Remove from the food processor and place in a the skillet and begin to sautee.
- Place the carrots and the garlic into the food processor and pulse as with the other vegetables. Add to the skillet and sautee, until the all of the vegetables are softening and beginning to brown.
- Finally, place the mushrooms and the parsley in the food processor and process as before. Add to the skillet and sautee with the rest of the vegetables until the mushrooms begin to give off their water, about 5 minutes.
- Remove skillet from heat and stir in the thawed spinach, with any extra water removed.
- Place sauteed vegetables in a large bowl. Add to the bowl: the ground meat, bread crumbs, beaten eggs, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well with your hands to combine.
- Divide the mixture into two. form each half into a 9 by 5 loaf, with your hands and place on a greased and parchment lined sheet tray. (You may choose to use two smaller trays if that works better for you.)
- In a measuring cup, mix together the ingredients for the glaze: ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar and hot sauce.
- Using a pastry brush or spoon, spread half of the glaze over the loaves.
- Place in the oven and cook for 40 minutes. After 40 minutes, brush the remaining glaze of the meatloaf and return to the oven. Cook for another 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 -20 minutes before serving, if you can.