Grilled Basil and Mint Summer Squash
Prep Time Minutes 10
Cook Time 15 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 10||Cook Time 15 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
This is an Italian recipe, which uses fresh mint and basil, along with garlic and olive oil to create an amazing flavor on what can otherwise be a relatively bland vegetable. I was introduced to this combination many years ago and this has become our standard way to grill summer squash.
- 4-5 Summer Squash, large zucchini or yellow squash
- 1/2 Cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 Cup Basil, fresh finely chopped
- 1/2 Cup Mint, fresh finely chopped
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced or grated on a microplane
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the squash into long thin slices (about 1/8 of an inch thick and about 4 inches long. If you are using long squash, you may want to cut them in half (the short way) before slicing them lengthwise.
- In a large bowl mix together the remaining ingredients. Add the cut squash to the bowl and mix with your hands until the squash are covered with the oil and herbs. Let sit for a few minutes or grill immediately.
- Grill over high heat, flipping once, until the zucchini is cooked through and they have nice grill marks. If you do not have a grill, you can also broil the zucchini on high, placing them on a greased sheet tray.