Easy Rolled Manicotti
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 40 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 40 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
This is the only way to make manicotti, as far as I’m concerned. Thanks to this hack from Cooks Illustrated, instead of stuffing cheese filling into already cooked noodles, this manicotti uses softened no-bake lasagna sheets, into which you roll the filling. Once you make this Manicotti, with its creamy ricotta basil filling, and topped with marinara and gooey mozzarella, you too will be sold on this method. Serve this with steamed broccoli and your meal is complete!
- 6 Cups Marinara sauce you can use your favorite store bought brand or use my recipe for marinara sauce
- 3 Cups Ricotta Cheese
- 3 Cups Mozarella cheese grated
- 1 Cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 Eggs
- 2 TBS Parsley chopped
- 2 TBS Basil, fresh chopped plus 1 TBS for garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- 16 No boil lasagna noodles
- Preheat the oven to 375
- Prepare the cheese filling: Combine the ricotta, 2 Cups mozzarella (reserve 1 cup for topping), parmesan, eggs, parsley, basil, salt and pepper to taste in a bowl.
- Place 1 ½ cups of sauce on the bottom of a 9 by 13 baking dish.
- Softening the noodles. Place boiling water into a sheet tray or pyrex with high sides and place the noodles, in a single layer into the water until the noodles soften and become pliable. As each noodle becomes pliable, remove from the water and place on a plate or dish towel.
- Place about ¼ cup cheese mixture on to one side of the noodle and roll it into a tube shape. Place into the baking dish with the layer of sauce, seam side down, and repeat with each noodle until you have used up the noodles and cheese mixture. You should have two long rows of stuffed noodles.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the noodles to cover. Cover the dish tightly with foil and bake until bubbling, about 45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, remove foil and raise oven temperature to 500. Top the dish with the remaining 1 cup shredded mozzarella and return dish to the oven, uncovered and bake for a few minutes until the cheese is golden brown.
- Before serving, sprinkle with remaining 1 TBS chopped basil. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- I like to serve this with a side of steamed broccoli or another bright green veggie.