Beet salad with Greens and Feta
Prep Time Minutes 10
Cook Time 40 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 10||Cook Time 40 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
Beets and feta have become a classic pair. What I love about this beet salad is that it uses both the beets and the greens. I love being able to use a nice bunch of beets with the tops and using them both on the same dish. While you can also make this salad without the greens, try it just once with the greens – I think you’ll like it! (Adapted from Bon Apetit)
- 6 TBS Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 TBS Red wine vinegar
- 1 Clove garlic grated on a microplane
- 7 Beets with their greens Large Beets, about 3 inches diameter
- 1 Cup Water
- 3 TBS Capers drained and chopped
- 3/4 Cup Feta cheese crumbled
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place oil, vinegar and garlic in small glass jar, cover and shake to blend. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cut green tops off beets and reserve tops.
- Arrange beets in single layer in pyrex dish and add 1 cup water. Cover with foil and bake in the oven until beets are tender when pierced with knife, about 1 hour 10 minutes.
- Peel beets while warm.
- Cut beets in bite sized pieces and transfer them to large bowl. Mix in capers and 1/4 cup dressing. Season with salt and pepper.
- Wash the beet greens with stems. Steam the greens in a large pot, with an inch of water on the bottom. Cook until just wilted but still bright green, about 4 minutes.
- Drain greens; squeeze out excess moisture. Let cool. Once cooled, chop coarsely.
- Transfer greens to medium bowl. Toss with enough dressing to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Arrange beet greens on the bottom of the platter. Place the cooked and dressed beets on top and sprinkle with feta. Drizzle with any remaining dressing.