Beef and Barley Soup
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 1 Hour
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 1 Hour||Passive Time||Servings People|
My kids love any soup with Barley and this one is a real hit in our house. The leeks, onions, carrots and celery contribute their veggie goodness, while the thyme and bay leaves add a great depth of flavor. I like to use beef bones with a good amount of meat on them, so that everyone gets to enjoy some real meat. This soup has all of the elements of a full meal: Beef, starch and veggies – so break out the big bowls and serve this soup up for dinner.
- 1 TBS Oil
- 2 Leeks well rinsed and white and light green parts chopped
- 1 Onion diced
- 2 Stalks Celery diced
- 4 Carrots diced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 4-5 Beef Bones large, with meat, such as beef neck bones or oxtail
- 4 Sprigs Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 10-12 Cups Beef Broth or Chicken Broth
- 1 Cup Pearled barley cooked according to package instructions
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add the leeks, onions, celery and carrots and garlic and sautee for 10 minutes until they start to brown. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add beef bones, thyme, bay leaves and broth and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for an hour. Add additional salt and pepper as needed.
- To serve, place some cooked barley in each bowl and top with some hot soup. Make sure everyone gets a bone!