Bamiya Style Green Beans
This recipe is a favorite of mine from Zahav, Michael Salmonov’s restaurant and cookbook. Unlike most green bean recipes I make that leave them crisp and crunchy, this recipe slow cooks the beans in a spicy sauce of middle eastern flavors until the beans have broken down and take on the intense tomato and spice flavors.
- 1/2 Cup Olive oil
- 1 Onion halved length-wise and then thinly sliced lengthwise
- 3 Cloves Garlic minced
- tsp ½salt
- 2 tsp Turmeric
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 2 tsp Coriander
- Zest of one Lime
- 1 lb Green beans trimmed (you can also use frozen green beans)
- 1 Cup Canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 TBS cilantro** chopped, optional
- squeeze of lime juice
- Heat oil in a sauté pan set over medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and salt, and sauté until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and lime zest and cook until fragrant, 1 minute.
- Add beans and tomatoes, stirring to coat, and simmer until beans are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in cilantro, if using.
- Season with lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.