Arugala, Fennel and Orange Salad
Prep Time Minutes 10
|Prep Time Minutes 10||Cook Time||Passive Time||Servings people|
This bright and citrus-y salad is perfect for the winter when oranges and lemons are in season. The combination or Arugala, fennel and orange is a classic for a reason. Along with the lemony vinaigrette and the peppery arugula, this salad may just become a winter staple in your home.
- 1/4 Cup Orange juice (fresh is best!)
- 2 TBS Lemon juice
- 2 tsp Orange zest grated
- 3 TBS Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 Shallot chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ½ Red onion sliced into thin half moons
- 1 Fennel bulb
- 3 Navel Oranges
- 4 Cups Arugula
- To make the vinaigrette, place the orange juice, lemon juice, orange zest, olive oil, mustard and shallot in a small jar with a lid. Cover and shake well. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- To make the salad: Cut off the stems and fronds of the fennel bulb and remove any outer layers that do not look good. Cut the bulb in half lengthwise and cut out the tough core, in a v shape. Cut the bulb halves crosswise into thin half moons.
- Using a sharp knife, cut a slice off both ends of the orange to reveal the flesh. Stand the orange upright on a cutting board and thickly slice off the peel and pith in strips, following the shape of the fruit. Once all of the outer peel and pith has been removed, cut the orange in half crosswise, place each half cut side down, and thinly slice vertically to create half-moons. Repeat with all of the oranges.
- Place the fennel, red onion and arugula in a large serving bowl, add half of the vinaigrette and toss gently to coat thoroughly. Arrange the orange slices on top. Drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette and serve immediately.