Cauliflower Risotto with BBQ Tempeh
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 30 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 30 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
Cauliflower rice is all the rage and I had been trying my hardest to get on the bandwagon, but hadn’t yet fallen in love with the taste, until… I stumbled upon this cooking method. This recipe was inspired by a vegan meal in a box that my sister sent me through Green Chef, a local box of the week company. This recipe mixes cauliflower rice and short grain rice, to make an earthy, cauliflower flavored risotto. It is topped with some BBQ tempeh and a delicious scallion, peanut and ginger relish. The combination is a flavor burst!
- 8 ounces Tempeh
- 1/2 Cup BBQ sauce your favorite
- 2 TBS Cornstarch
- 1 Cup Short grain white rice risotto rice
- 2 Cups Cauliflower rice (you can buy this fresh or frozen or make your own! by pulsing raw cauliflower florettes in a food processor until there are rice-sized pieces)
- 2 Cups Broth
- 1/2 Cup Roasted red peppers chopped
- 1.2 Cup Edamame
- 3 Scallions thinly sliced
- 2 TBS Pickled ginger chopped finely
- 1/2 Cup Peanuts salted, lightly crushed
- 1 TBS Sesame seeds black or white
- 1 TBS Extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring 2 cups broth, rice and cauliflower rice to a boil in a pot. Add salt and pepper to taste. Reduce to low, simmer and cover. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until the rice is tender and liquid absorbed. You may need to add water if it dries out before it is cooked. Stir every once in a while to make sure it does not stick to the bottom.
- While the rice is cooking, chop the roasted peppers and edamame and set aside. Mix into the rice once cooked.
- Cut tempeh into rods, about ½ inch thick. Place in a medium bowl and coat with cornstarch. Heat a sautee pan with 2 TBS oil over medium heat. Add tempeh to hot pan and cook 2-3 minutes on each side, until browned. When browned, add BBQ sauce and ½-1 cup water. Cooke 7-10 minutes until sauce is reduced and thickly coating the tempeh.
- To make the peanut relish, combine the scallions, ginger, peanuts, sesame seeds, olive oil and salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place a portion of the cauliflower risotto on the bottom of the plate. Place a few pieces of tempeh with some sauce on top. Garnish with a few tablespoons of the peanut ginger relish.