Vegan BBQ Bowl with Farro
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
This bowl brings together some southern BBQ favorites: Coleslaw, sautéed greens, BBQ- with a twist… its vegan! Instead of BBQ beef, this recipe features BBQ tofu cubes. The base of the bowl is nutty and chewy farro, and you top it with a mix of colorful BBQ classics.
- 2 Cups Farro (I use whole, un-hulled farro)
- 12 ounces Tofu cut into bite sized cubes
- 1-2 TBS Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 TBS Oil divided
- 1 Bunch Kale* washed and cut into large pieces
- 3 Cloves Garlic sliced
- 2 Cups Cabbage shredded
- 1 Lemon juiced
- 1 TBS Mayo
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 Cup BBQ sauce your choice!
- Place Farro and 2 Cups water in saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook for close to an hour, until the farro is cooked through, about an hour. It should still be chewy, but not crunchy.
- While the farro is cooking, prepare the other toppings.
- To prepare the tofu: Preheat the oven to 450. Combine the tofu, chili powder, 1 TBS oil and salt and pepper to taste in bowl. Coat the tofu and place in an even layer on a parchment lined sheet tray. Cook for 20-30 minutes, until the tofu begins to firm up on the outside.
- To prepare the greens: Heat a sautee pan on high with 1 TBS olive oil and garlic. Cook for one minute and add kale. Stir to coat Kale in oil and cook for one more minute. Add salt and pepper to taste and then add 1/8 cup water. Cook Until the Kale has just turned bright green. Remove from the sautee pan and set aside.
- To make the slaw: Combine the shredded cabbage, lemon juice, mayo, salt and pepper to taste. Sir to combine and set aside.
- Heat up the BBQ sauce and set aside in a bowl.
- To assemble: Place some farro in the bottom of the bowl. Add the various toppings and top the bowl with the BBQ sauce. Enjoy!