Slow Cooker Unstuffed Cabbage
Prep Time Minutes 10
Passive Time 6 Hours
|Prep Time Minutes 10||Cook Time||Passive Time 6 Hours||Servings People|
Stuffed Cabbage rolls are a family favorite for special occasion holidays, but who has time on a weeknight to roll out each cabbage roll? My mother, who worked full time and had to get dinner on the table, used to make unstuffed cabbage for us to satisfy our desire to have this delicious meal more frequently. This meal has all of the essential ingredients and flavors of stuffed cabbage – a sweet and tangy sauce, rice, beef, raisins -yet you can put this recipe together in no time, and work while it cooks!
- 1 TBS Oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 1/2 Can Tomato paste
- 2 lbs Ground beef, lean
- 3/4 Cup Quick cooking brown rice
- 1 28 ounce Can Whole Tomatoes (cut tomatoes with a kitchen shear or scissors)
- 1 14 ounce Can tomato sauce
- 1/4 Cup Cider vinegar
- 3 TBS Sugar
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 1/4 Cup Raisins optional
- 1 Head Cabbage, green (cut in half, cored and cut into ½ inch thick strips)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Broth or water to just barely cover cabbage
- Place oil in a large heavy bottomed sauté pan and bring to medium high heat.
- Add the diced onions and cook until beginning to brown.
- Add the tomato paste and cook until it becomes brick red.
- Then add ground beef, which should also help to deglaze the tomato paste.
- Sautee for 5 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink.
- Add meat mixture to the slow cooker and then add remaining ingredients.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir once in the middle.
- Serve in bowls and enjoy!