Sausage, Peppers and Onions
Prep Time Minutes 10
Cook Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 10||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
What’s not to love about sausages simmered in a sweet and spicy sauce with peppers and onions? This is a great way to have a “hot dog night” and get lots of veggies in there at the same time. We love to eat these in hoagie rolls, with a side of our favorite baked beans from our cousin Philip.
- 2 TBS Olive oil
- 1 pound Sausages sliced on the bias into large pieces, about 4-6
- 2 Red Peppers sliced
- 2 Onions sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp Oregano, dry
- 4 Cloves Garlic chopped
- 2 TBS Tomato paste
- 1 Cup Marsala wine
- 1 15 ounce Can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 tsp Red pepper flakes
- 1/2 Cup Basil, fresh Chopped
- 4-6 Hoagie rolls or Hot Dog Buns
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausages and cook until brown on both sides. Remove from the pan.
- Keeping the pan over medium heat, add the peppers, onions, salt, and pepper and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the oregano, basil, and garlic and cook 2 more minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and stir. Add the Marsala wine, tomatoes, and chili flakes. Stir to combine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to release all the browned bits. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the browned sausage back to the pan and stir to combine. Cook until the sauce has thickened, about 10-20 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil.
- To serve, toast hoagie rolls and place the sausage and pepper mixture inside. Enjoy!