Roast Chicken with Lemon and Herbs
Prep Time Minutes 15
Cook Time 50 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 15||Cook Time 50 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
Roast chicken is a classic, but this recipe, has all of those delicious “extras” that will transform this weeknight roast chicken into a feast. Years ago, I watched a video on Martha Stewart, ("Eden's Roast Chicken") featuring this recipe and I knew I would love it when I saw the roasted lemons, capers and olives. If your go-to section of whole foods is the olive and pickle bar, you will love one-tray roasted chicken with its lemony-salty flair.
- 1 Chicken cut into 8 pieces, skin left on
- 10 Cloves Garlic smashed and peeled
- 2 TBS Capers drained
- 1/2 Cup Kalamata olives
- 2 Sprigs Fresh thyme
- 2 Sprigs Fesh rosemary
- 1-2 Lemons thinly sliced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 TBS Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pound Potatoes halved or cut into small pieces (these will have to finish their cooking at the same time as the chicken)
- Place the cut chicken pieces into a large bowl.
- Rough chop 5 cloves garlic and add to bowl along with capers, olives, thyme, rosemary, and lemon. Leave the herbs whole on the stalks, as then you can choose to pick them out after cooking or leave them for a nice presentation.
- Drizzle chicken and herb mixture with ¼ cup olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well to combine. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours or up to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Smash remaining garlic cloves (these will stay larger and have a different flavor, so no need to mince) and add to a rimmed baking sheet along with chicken and marinade.
- Add the potatoes to the pan and drizzle with 3 Tbs olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Roast chicken until potatoes and chicken are golden brown, and the internal temperature of the chicken reads 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer, about 40-60 minutes. (You may want to remove the breast pieces before the dark meat, as it may get cooked before the potatoes and dark meat)
- To serve, place chicken and potatoes on a serving platter, along with all of the roasted “extras” (lemons, capers, olives etc.)