Meatball Minestrone Soup
Prep Time Minutes 20
Cook Time 30 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 20||Cook Time 30 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings people|
When I tell my 9 year-old son that we are having meatball minestrone soup for dinner, I get a fist pump… This soup is packed with Italian spices, veggies, noodles, and of course meatballs! This is a hearty “One Pot” meal for all the various eaters in your family – big and small. I like to serve this with crusty bread. Spread some pesto on the bread for an extra treat!
- 10 ounce Spinach, Frozen Chopped thawed and squeezed to remove liquid
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- 1/3 Cup Breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 TBS Olive oil
- 1 Onion diced
- 3 Carrots cut into thin rounds
- 4 Stalks Celery sliced
- 2 Cloves Garlic minced
- 8 Cups Broth any kind
- 28 ounce Can Diced Tomatoes with liquid
- 2 16 ounce Cans Red Kidney Beans with some of the liquid
- 1 tsp Oregano, dreid
- 1 tsp Basil, dried
- 2 Cups Noodles, elbow cooked
- 1 Loaf Crusty Bread
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Prepare a large sheet pan lined with parchment paper or tin foil.
- Place thawed and squeezed spinach into a large bowl. Add the ground beef, egg, bread crumbs, salt and pepper to taste and mix until combined.
- Form into 1 inch meatballs and place them on the lined sheet tray. Cook for 20 minutes.
- While the meatballs are cooking, heat up oil a large Dutch oven over medium high heat. Sautee the onions, carrots, and celery until softened and just beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and spices and sautee for a minute until aromatic.
- Add the broth, tomatoes and beans and bring to a simmer, but not a boil.
- At this point, the meatballs should be finished in the oven. Add them, with their accumulated juices into the pot and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in the cooked noodles so they warm through.
- Serve in bowls with some crusty bread for dunking.