Kale, Coconut and Tofu Salad
Prep Time Minutes 5
Cook Time 20 Minutes
|Prep Time Minutes 5||Cook Time 20 Minutes||Passive Time||Servings People|
This is a true superfood salad – the good oils of coconut, tofu for protein, brown rice for some body and, of course, kale. This simple but flavorful dressing if olive oil, sesame oil and soy sauce brings the dish together for a healthy and flavorful dinner salad. Serve it right away to take advantage of the great crunch of the roasted kale and coconut. (Adapted from Food and Wine Magazine)
- 1 Cup Short Grain brown rice
- 1/3 Cup Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp Toasted sesame oil
- 2 TBS Soy sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds Kale* stems and ribs removed, leaves chopped
- 1/2 Cup Unsweetened Coconut Flakes
- 1/2 pound Tofu, extra firm cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 2 cups)
- Preheat the oven to 350° and position racks in the lower and upper thirds of the oven.
- Cook the brown rice, according to package instructions.
- In a small bowl, whisk the olive oil with the sesame oil and soy sauce.
- Transfer two-thirds of the dressing to a large bowl. Add the kale and rub well with the sauce, for at least one minute.
- Add the coconut and tofu to the bowl with the kale and sauce and toss to coat.
- Spread the kale, coconut and tofu mixture on to two parchment or foil lined baking sheets.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until crispy. Stir once or twice and shift the pans halfway through baking.
- To serve, spread the rice on the bottom of a platter or in individual bowls. Drizzle with some of the remaining dressing. Then, place the roasted Kale, tofu and coconut mixture on top of the rice and drizzle the remaining dressing on top of the kale mixture. Season with salt and serve right away, while the kale and coconut are still crispy.