Easy Cranberry Sauce
Prep Time minutes 5
Cook Time 10 minutes
Passive Time 5 minutes
|Prep Time minutes 5||Cook Time 10 minutes||Passive Time 5 minutes||Servings people|
I have tried everything from raw cranberry relish to Jellied Cranberry Sauce with mandarin oranges and nuts, and this cranberry sauce is the one that I always come back to. It is simple, uses real cranberries, and just a few powerful ingredients – cinnamon sticks and orange zest - to add a warm and bright flavor that complements the cranberries.
- 12 ounces Cranberries fresh*
- 1-2 cinnamon sticks
- 1 TBS Orange Zest zest of one or two oranges
- Place the cranberries and cinnamon stick/s in a medium-sized saucepan with about 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook over medium-high heat.
- The cranberries will begin to sputter and soften. If it looks dry, add more water.
- Cook until the cranberries are breaking down, about 10 minutes.
- Once they are beginning to look like a sauce consistency, add the orange zest and sugar to taste. Some people like their cranberry sauce very sweet and some like it on the tart side. I lean towards the tart side, but even so, sugar is needed to take away the very tart taste of cranberries.
- The sauce will jell up when it cools.
* Most places carry fresh cranberries during Thanksgiving season, but if you can’t find them, you can use a bag of frozen cranberries.