Wheatless Wednesday: The Perfect Gluten-Free Cracker
Image from Elana's Pantry
Remember the thud of the pack of neon orange cheese and crackers as it hit the bottom of the vending machine and waited for your retrieval? Remember mindlessly grabbing the box of Ritz out of the cabinet to munch on as you watched tv? Polly want a cracker? No, I want a cracker. I want some crunch, some crumble, something to layer with cheese and slather with tuna salad!
Well, here it is. The easiest, quickest, most versatile gluten-free cracker recipe ever: Wheatless Thins! Enjoy!
2 cups unsalted roasted whole almonds
1 tablespoon olive oil
Herbs and spices
- Preheat oven to 325 degree Fahrenheit.
- Using a food processor, grind almonds until the consistency of sand. Do not over process or you’ll have nut butter!
- Transfer ground almonds into a mixing bowl. Add the egg, olive oil, and seasonings (dill, cracked black pepper, herbs de Provence, cayenne, and garlic salt are great options). Combine with fork and/or your hands. This mixture will seem dry and crumbly. They hold together, I promise.
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Dump almond mixture onto lined cookie sheet. Place another piece of parchment paper over the mixture. Spread with hands then a rolling pin until ¼-inch thick.
- Remove top layer of parchment paper, and score with knife into desired shapes.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Bake in preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until edges turn light brown.
- Allow to cool completely then gently break apart. Crackers will store in airtight container for several days. No need to refrigerate.
Experiment with different nuts and spices to create the perfect cracker for your dip, spread, or salad. Think pecans and cinnamon smeared with gluten-free apple butter and cream cheese. And check out this variation from Elana's Pantry that looks delish, too!